Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Interview Marathon

"At a crossroad... decisions... Argh!!!!"

That was how I felt when I got a call from S (my potential new team lead) that I may need to resign from my current position in order to apply for the permanent position at my current company! And there's no GUARANTEE that I will get this job after I apply. Cuz I still have to go thru the necessary HR screening process, interviews and so on! This could mean 2-3 months (or longer, depends on the hiring process) without pay for me!!!

How????!!!!!!!!


All these started about 2 months ago when my neighbour (the one sitting beside me in office la..) asked me whether I'm interested to apply for a role in her team. I submitted my resume... got called in for an interview.. got enlisted as suitable candidate. But... due to the fact that I'm a contract staff at the company.. there are alot of complexity involved. Many on-going discussions between the new team & HR, new team and my current team manager. New team lead even did a reference check with my current team manager, team lead and my boss from ex-company.

I was quite worried with my job situation honestly... cuz.. come 1st July... my co is outsourcing part of its IT operations to vendors.. and my team is affected. Moreover, my contract gonna end on 30 Sept, which makes situation even more uncertain.

To stay on? To move? To take the risk and resign? With my own family financial situation to think of... I can't afford to take such a big risk to resign now and apply for the new position in current co! I really have no idea...

With situation like this...I can only come down to God.

These verses come to me again...
Proverbs 3:5-7
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.

Lean not on my own understanding... yeah.. God wil take care of me. Like the what He promised in the following verse

Matthew 6:26
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

Yes! God has promised and He will take care of me.

With these promises... I have decided to let go of my job situation.. and let God take care of it instead. I know I can't take things into my own hands. I need God to intervene.

The next day... I was chatting with a friend. And she asked me to send in my CV to her and she will help submit for me. So... I juz submit and let God lead.

A day later, I got a call inviting me for an interview!!! Gosh!!!! The 1st thing tat come to me was... "God is reassuring me that He shall take care of me.. and He did it with an interview opportunity!"

Wow!!! So... i did some reading about the company. It's a position of Assistant Manager, Broadband Operations. Yah.. it's a telco.

Interview Day... I arrived early. The manager came and handed me a piece of paper.. Maths question!!! Goodness!! It's probability question! And porbability was my worst in maths... Immediately.. cold sweat went down my spine... hahaha!!!

I can't answer... of course!

Then.. I went into the room for the interview. 2 person, the guy, manager of the department and another lady.. his boss, the HOD of the entire business department I supposed.

It all started with the usual.. "Tell me about yourself.... "

Later on... it came to some role play questions where I was asked to be a Project Manager of a team. Wow.. this is the area where I sufferred alot... I answered but they were not satisfied with the answers and keep on probing for more and more... I can feel the tension in my voice as I speak.

And the interview went on.. during the whole process... deep down inside... I was asking myself.. "Why did I come? I wish I wasn't here being drilled man!!!". Honest feeling.. haha
Then.. the manager said, "Ok, last question.". When I heard that... I was relieved.. Finally!

But.. when I heard the question... It shattered my relief!


The question goes like this..
"You know Airbus 380? How many ping pong balls can be fit into it?"

Whoa!!! What question is this????? I remember hearing this question before... But I didn't bother to find out the answer!!!

So... at the spur of the moment.. I cracked something about the capacity of the plane... and the diameter of the ping pong balls etc...

Then... after I've answered... NOT DONE yet!

Time for me to ask them questions.
"What do you expect from this person taking up this role?", I asked the lady.

"I would expect someone very analytical(oh! I've juz failed that probability & airbus 380 questions!), logical(another crack in my heart), can drive the team(oh.. my role play question didn't go well), very organised in their thoughts(hmm... I don't think I've portrayed that in the whole interview session) ....", and many other things she mentioned... which I can't recall now. All I know was... after every word she mentioned.. I went further down the pit... down and down and down..... My heart sank.....

After the session.. I thank them for inviting me and thank them for their time.

I went on to take the LRT and left for home. When I sat down on the train... My mind went BLANK! I didn't know how i got myself safely onto the train.. hahaha!!! U can imagine how LOST I was at that time...

When I went home.. and continued to work from home... It was a good time for me to calm myself down in midst of the quietness at home.

Then.. I came to realise one thing... Maybe God opened this interview opportunity not for me to get the job, but rather to be prepared with my Interview skills! Cuz the HR process in my current co... It's known as being VERY TOUGH!!!

Later on.. when my close friends asked me about the interview.. I was so excited to tell them all about my experiences. I no longer felt myself being at the bottom of the pit.. I felt relieved cuz I've been drilled in such a tough interview session.. cuz now I can tell people.. I've got this experience! Hahaha...

That was the 1st interview.

Then.. this week... I was chatting with a friend online... and u can read the blog "What have I got myself into??? OMG!!!" to see how it all happened.

How was this interview... to sum it up.. this is how I told my friends.

"The interview was good!!! much much better and easier compared to the previous interview!!!!!

although its tech position.. but.. i think i did quite well la...

well.. it all depends on them whether they wan me not lor.. cuz me 1 yr not in tech position d...
moreover.. they have staggered working hse.. is 7-4pm, 9-6pm, 11-8pm. and this being rotated weekly among the 3 staffs la... then we he ask me qtn like.. "is this smtg u looking for?", of cuz i answer yes during the interview lah!!! although in my heart.. i dun quite like tech job la..

then wen he asked me abt the working hrs.. i told him 1st 2.. i'm ok.. but th 11-8pm one.. i have some reservation.. cuz wed & fri i have cell mtg & PM
then.. to my surprise.. he say.. well... the guys do adjust among themselves on the working hrs.. i dun see it a problem

he's quite open la.. he oso explained the network to me etc etc...

but he noted down my expected salary.. my reservation on the 11-8pm work hrs etc la..
so.. now.. depend on God lo!!!!

Honestly, i dun really look forward to tech job..... cuz i trying to move to project management positions.. but then... i've prayed to God.. He open the doors he wants me to go and close the door He dun wan...
so...

i shall have open heart la

although deep inside.. i kno honestly.. i dun like tech job

but then..... when he ask me.. where u see urself in 3 yrs time?
i told him... i see myself in project management.. cuz now i'm gaining experience in management & technical... need crack smtg wen he ask me why i switch from business to tech now mah

anyway.... really.. shall leave to God lo "


Not done! hehe...

Remember the job opening in Abu Dhabi which I was looking forward to all these while? My friend over there mentioned to me that my ex Finance Manager is coming back to Malaysia this week, and he shall call me up to catch up with me and to also discuss the possibilities of me going there to work!!!

Oh my GOD!!!!

What an exciting week....

Focus.. Focus... Focus... I need to Focus on God. Not all the happenings around me....

No comments: